Lindy Hoppers get into the swing of things for the Hot Mikado
- Credit: Archant
AS part of their preparations for their forthcoming show Hot Mikdado, members of Ely’s CAT Theatre Company Ely were put through their paces by some expert Lindy Hoppers.
The CAT show is Gilbert & Sullivan’s ‘Mikado’ but set to an American big band, swing sound.
Director Becky Green thought it would be good to bring some authentic 1940s dance into the show, and who better to teach the cast but Cambridge’s own expert Lindy Hoppers – Siobhan McGowan and Will Sheldrake.
The dancers ran a two hour workshop with the cast , where the cast learnt moves such as the ‘shorty george’ and ‘crazy legs’ to name but a few!
Becky said “we were so excited when the Lindy Hoppers agreed to come and show the cast some moves. The music is so energetic and uplifting, it seemed only right that we should honour it with some authentic dance moves of the time. It was exhausting, but brilliant fun. Our guest teachers started with a dance demonstration and made it look so easy! The cast were then put through their paces! We all ached the next day!”
You may also want to watch:
Further details of the Cambridge Lindy Hoppers can be found at www.cambridgelindy.com
‘Hot Mikado’ runs from June 27 – 29 at the Maltings , Ely.
- 1 Connor tops poll as Tories retained Fenland dominance on county council
- 2 Election shock: Tories lose overall control of Cambridgeshire County Council
- 3 Election 2021: Wisbech West tops poll for lowest turnout
- 4 Death crash driver who fled is jailed
- 5 New £1.5million Co-op store opens its doors – creating 12 local jobs
- 6 Man on the run after stealing e-scooter from child
- 7 Election 2021: Tories win Whittlesey by-elections
- 8 Tories retain two Wisbech seats for county council
- 9 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 10 Wimblington murder probe: first photo of victim
Tickets can be purchased from: Burrows Bookshop, Ely Passage, Tel: 01353 669759 or online at www.cately.ticketsource.co.uk