Lindy Hoppers get into the swing of things for the Hot Mikado
- Credit: Archant
AS part of their preparations for their forthcoming show Hot Mikdado, members of Ely’s CAT Theatre Company Ely were put through their paces by some expert Lindy Hoppers.
The CAT show is Gilbert & Sullivan’s ‘Mikado’ but set to an American big band, swing sound.
Director Becky Green thought it would be good to bring some authentic 1940s dance into the show, and who better to teach the cast but Cambridge’s own expert Lindy Hoppers – Siobhan McGowan and Will Sheldrake.
The dancers ran a two hour workshop with the cast , where the cast learnt moves such as the ‘shorty george’ and ‘crazy legs’ to name but a few!
Becky said “we were so excited when the Lindy Hoppers agreed to come and show the cast some moves. The music is so energetic and uplifting, it seemed only right that we should honour it with some authentic dance moves of the time. It was exhausting, but brilliant fun. Our guest teachers started with a dance demonstration and made it look so easy! The cast were then put through their paces! We all ached the next day!”
You may also want to watch:
Further details of the Cambridge Lindy Hoppers can be found at www.cambridgelindy.com
‘Hot Mikado’ runs from June 27 – 29 at the Maltings , Ely.
- 1 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 2 161-mile trip from Yorkshire to Fen village ends in Covid breach fine
- 3 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 4 Stolen American-style fridge was lifted over 10ft security fence
- 5 All staff and residents at Chatteris care home now vaccinated against Covid
- 6 MP wants an end to floods misery in the Fens
- 7 Council chief executive accused of 'indifference' over Covid-19 response
- 8 Dad has 'much more energy to run around' with son after losing four stone
- 9 More than 60 fines issued to Covid rulebreakers in Cambs already this year
- 10 First large-scale Cambs Covid-19 vaccination centres open this week
Tickets can be purchased from: Burrows Bookshop, Ely Passage, Tel: 01353 669759 or online at www.cately.ticketsource.co.uk