Manea Gala returns next weekend
- Credit: Archant
The bunting is up and the final preparations are well underway for the 61st Manea Gala, which takes place next Saturday.
Traditionally held on the second Saturday in July each year, there will be rides, a parade, aquazorb, vintage vehicle show, battle of Britain flypast Spitfire, dog show, live entertainment and fully-licensed bar.
There will also be a competition for ‘best modern tractor’, where entrants will drive around the village for 90 minutes and then have their tractor on display on the gala field all afternoon.
Three children’s fancy dress competitions will also be open; one for children aged up to five-year-olds, another for six to 10-year-olds and a third for 10-year-olds and over.
“For the last 60 years there has been a community group called the Manea Gala with various people from the community who have given there time to organise a gala for the village,” say the group.
You may also want to watch:
“This has grown over the years and now has a committee of 16 people who give there time to put on the gala and the Christmas fayre each year.
“We also organise other events within the community to raise funds for the gala.”
- 1 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 2 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 3 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 4 March Town mark long-awaited step five return with opening day defeat
- 5 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 6 Blush crowned best bridal shop in Cambs
- 7 Sweet Caroline and a dodgy knee - review of Olly Murs at Newmarket Nights
- 8 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 9 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 10 Alleged paedophile released on bail
The event, which starts with the traditional parade of floats, is expected to attract huge crowds lining the streets to watch the procession before moving on to enjoy the array of attractions at the playing field in Park Road.
The parade will meet outside Manea Community Primary School at 11am and move off by 11.30am.
Manea Gala will then open at 1pm on Park Road.
Evening entertainment runs from 6pm until 11pm.
Anyone wishing to run a stall should contact Stephen Short via email: email@example.com