Master storyteller whose bestseller has sold 19 million copies coming to Peterborough Cathedral
- Credit: Archant
A master storyteller will give a talk at Peterborough Cathedral to promote the 25th anniversary of his bestselling book.
Ken Follett will speak about what inspired him to write historical masterpiece The Pillars of the Earth on March 18 at 7.30pm.
Reflecting on the success of The Pillars of the Earth, which has sold about 19 million copies worldwide, Follett said: “Many times I have been asked why Pillars has such a big impact.
“There is no simple answer, because a novel is so complex. But I come back again and again to the people who built the cathedrals. “Those men and women were by modern standards, poor and ignorant. They lived in wooden huts and slept on the floor. Yet they created the most beautiful and awesome buildings the world has ever known.
“Human beings have the capacity to rise above mundane circumstances and touch the eternal.
You may also want to watch:
“That is what Pillars is about and, in the end, I think that may be why it has so profoundly touched the hearts of so many readers for so many years.”
Copies of a selection of Ken Follett’s novels will be on sale at the event and he will be available for signing after his talk.
- 1 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 2 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 3 Chatteris firm with £20m growth plan
- 4 Family remembers 'cheeky, friendly and well-liked' mechanic
- 5 Body found in Wisbech road
- 6 Hares hit five, Wisbech win, Whittlesey victorious as Drove triumph
- 7 Diamond celebrations for former mayor and council chairman
- 8 ‘High risk’ paedophile had indecent images of children on his phone
- 9 Tractor driver error may have caused freight derailment in the Fens
- 10 Man confronted in live stream cleared of all sex abuse allegations
Tickets are £11 (including a glass of wine or soft drink after the talk)/ £5.50 for under 18s.
They are available online from www.ticketsource.co.uk/date/91198 or from Peterborough Visitor Information Centre (01733 452336), or in person at Peterborough Cathedral shop.
All the proceeds from the event will go towards the preservation of Peterborough Cathedral’s Cloister and Precinct walls.
A Peterborough Cathedral City Break is available with overnight hotel accommodation, an event ticket, breakfast and guided Cathedral tour the following day.
For more details call 01733 355315 or visit www.peterborough-cathedral.org.uk