Master storyteller whose bestseller has sold 19 million copies coming to Peterborough Cathedral
- Credit: Archant
A master storyteller will give a talk at Peterborough Cathedral to promote the 25th anniversary of his bestselling book.
Ken Follett will speak about what inspired him to write historical masterpiece The Pillars of the Earth on March 18 at 7.30pm.
Reflecting on the success of The Pillars of the Earth, which has sold about 19 million copies worldwide, Follett said: “Many times I have been asked why Pillars has such a big impact.
“There is no simple answer, because a novel is so complex. But I come back again and again to the people who built the cathedrals. “Those men and women were by modern standards, poor and ignorant. They lived in wooden huts and slept on the floor. Yet they created the most beautiful and awesome buildings the world has ever known.
“Human beings have the capacity to rise above mundane circumstances and touch the eternal.
You may also want to watch:
“That is what Pillars is about and, in the end, I think that may be why it has so profoundly touched the hearts of so many readers for so many years.”
Copies of a selection of Ken Follett’s novels will be on sale at the event and he will be available for signing after his talk.
- 1 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 2 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 3 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 4 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 5 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 6 Council books seven hotels and guest houses for homeless
- 7 Max and Chloe become pioneers of community housing success in Cambs village
- 8 Welcome to Whittlesey - the new UK hotspot for kite surfing?
- 9 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 10 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
Tickets are £11 (including a glass of wine or soft drink after the talk)/ £5.50 for under 18s.
They are available online from www.ticketsource.co.uk/date/91198 or from Peterborough Visitor Information Centre (01733 452336), or in person at Peterborough Cathedral shop.
All the proceeds from the event will go towards the preservation of Peterborough Cathedral’s Cloister and Precinct walls.
A Peterborough Cathedral City Break is available with overnight hotel accommodation, an event ticket, breakfast and guided Cathedral tour the following day.
For more details call 01733 355315 or visit www.peterborough-cathedral.org.uk