Melody Johnson bringing critically acclaimed show Miss Caledonia to King’s Lynn
- Credit: Archant
Multi award-winning writer and performer Melody A. Johnson will be bringing her critically acclaimed show ‘Miss Caledonia’ to King’s Lynn Arts Centre on Saturday, May 30.
Based on the true story of her mother’s life, Melody presents a charming show about Canada’s rural culture, fusing comedy and writing with live fiddle music performed by Mary Fay Coady.
The year is 1955, and country-girl Peggy Ann Douglas is yearning to escape from the chicory-pulling, stall-cleaning and general drudgery of rural life in New Caledonia.
Following in the footsteps of her idol, Debbie Reynolds, Peggy Ann plans to become a movie star – beginning her journey by entering, and hopefully winning, the local beauty pageants.
Can she sing, twirl and pivot her way to the top or will shaky nerves sabotage her efforts?
You may also want to watch:
Melody said: ‘It is an absolute thrill for us to be taking our show beyond its Canadian borders. We’re so looking forward to playing in the hopes that our farm tale will also resonate with UK audiences.
“Touring through the countryside is also very exciting for us.”
- 1 Quiz-loving duo win BBC game show hosted by Bradley Walsh and Holly Willoughby
- 2 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 3 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris
- 4 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 5 Historic hotel opens doors after lockdown transformation
- 6 9 never to be forgotten moments from Cambridgeshire politicians
- 7 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 8 Fenland BusFest is back in Whittlesey this weekend
- 9 Fens crime gang ‘boss’ jailed
- 10 Motor cyclist killed in March crash
The show has already won rave reviews. The National Post describes it as “irresistible and heartwarming”, while The Globe and Mail says it’s “a winning show you’d take your grandmother or granddaughter to in a wink”.
The show, recommended for people aged 12 and over, is at 7.30pm in the Guildhall Theatre. Tickets cost £12, £10 concessions. To book, call 01553 764864.
For more information on upcoming exhibitions, workshops and theatre shows, call 01553 779095 or visit www.kingslynnarts.co.uk