Music to dance to with renowned DJ Mr Scruff at the Cambridge Junction
- Credit: Archant
Dig out your dancing moves and get to the Cambridge Junction at the end of the month for a night with DJ Mr Scruff who will be dropping tunes across the board from soul, funk, hip hop, jazz, reggae, latin, african, ska, disco, house funk and breaks.
As a producer he makes music that draws on these influences, with a large dose of cheek and good humour, while his cartoon drawings illustrate gig flyers, record sleeves and CD covers, and usually accompany him at gigs as live animated visuals.
DJ, Andy Carthy aka Mr Scruff, had his first encounter with mixing as a 12 year old in 1984, when a friend played him some of his uncle’s electro records opening his eyes and ears to the art of mixing records.
Soon after he was making his own pause-button mixtapes.
By 1987 he was proficient at turntable mixing and editing leading to his first break in 1994, when he met Barney Doodlebug, a DJ/Doodler who gave him his first Manchester gig, on a Sunday night in a venue called Dry Bar.
You may also want to watch:
Gigging across the UK and Europe Mr Scruff signed to Ninja Tune in 1998 and his debut album ‘Keep It Unreal’ arrived a year later, featuring the classic ‘Get A Move On’.
He brings his high energy set to the Junction on Saturday April 30 from 10pm to 3am.
- 1 'Amazing team work' at hospital's vaccination clinic
- 2 'Physically and mentally exhausted" Matt in plea to find missing beagle
- 3 Man suffers serious injuries after two-vehicle crash on A47
- 4 Sandbags available ahead as Storm Christoph arrives
- 5 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 6 'Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into'
- 7 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 8 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 9 Fishing park owners await green light to open third lake
- 10 Rough sleepers helped from tents pitched on private land
Tickets £14 early bird or £16 in advance.