Orchestras, jazz and the Prince of Wales’ harpist all on the programme for 63rd King’s Lynn Festival
- Credit: Archant
A WORLD-famous orchestra, two BBC Young Musicians, the Prince of Wales’ harpist, the top-notch BBC Big Band, iconic jazz saxophonist Courtney Pine, and exciting Scottish group Blazin’ Fiddles will give this summer’s King’s Lynn Festival especially broad appeal.
The 63rd Festival will be staged from July 14-27. Artistic director Ambrose Miller said: “It will be a wonderfully lively festival maintaining its tradition of excellence but also introducing some new features.”
A rousing concert entitled The Best of British will launch the festival when the 100-strong King’s Lynn Festival Chorus, the European Union Chamber Orchestra and trumpet virtuoso Crispian Steele-Perkins celebrate the 60th anniversary of the Queen’s Coronation with stirring music played during the ceremony, plus popular music by Benjamin Britten to mark the East Anglian composer’s centenary.
The internationally-renowned Royal Philharmonic Orchestra will present the final concert when their programme will include Schubert’s “Great” Symphony.
The current BBC Young Musician, Dutch cellist Laura Van Der Heijden, will join the European Union Chamber Orchestra in the beautiful St Nicholas’ Chapel on July 16 when she will perform Haydn’s cello concerto.
You may also want to watch:
Beethoven’s complete cello sonatas will be performed on July 22, featuring two major names - former BBC Young musician, cellist Guy Johnston, and pianist Melvyn Tan.
On July 25 the festival returns to All Saints Church with a concert by Hannah Stone, the current Harpist to the Prince of Wales. The BBC Big Band will display their impeccable musicianship on July 23, and acclaimed saxophonist Courtney Pine and his band will be in Lynn on July 19
- 1 ‘Boris should try to fill in the forms if he thinks they’re so simple’
- 2 'Amazing team work' at hospital's vaccination clinic
- 3 'Physically and mentally exhausted" Matt in plea to find missing beagle
- 4 Man suffers serious injuries after two-vehicle crash on A47
- 5 Sandbags available ahead as Storm Christoph arrives
- 6 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 7 'Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into'
- 8 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 9 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 10 Rough sleepers helped from tents pitched on private land
Blazin’ Fiddles, one of Scotland’s top traditional bands, will bring their special brand of passionate and sensitive fiddle music to Lynn for the first time on July 26.
Priority booking for patrons and Friends of the Festival opens at the Corn Exchange (01553-764864) on April 15. General booking begins on April 29.
For more information visit www.kingslynnfestival.org.uk, e-mail email@example.com or call the festival office on 01553-767557.