Peterborough Gilbert and Sullivan Players to perform ‘Iolanthe’ at Key Theatre, Peterborough
- Credit: Archant
The Peterborough Gilbert and Sullivan Players are to perform ‘Iolanthe’ at the Key Theatre, Peterborough later this month.
“In ‘Iolanthe’, the Players take a dig at ineffectual political rivalries with this satirical story about what happens when a band of fairies take over Parliament,” says marketing coordinator Bernie McDonnell.
“It features the tongue-twisting tour de force ‘Nightmare Song’, a pompous, dim-witted ruling elite, and a leading man whose half a fairy – from the waist up.
“As always, Gilbert’s satire is delivered with such elegant absurdity that all you can do is laugh at how the more things change, the more they remain the same.
“The sounds of a full orchestra, chorus and vocal soloists bring Sullivan’s masterpiece to life, whilst Gilbert’s humour is as relevant today as it was when it was written.”
You may also want to watch:
Visit the Key Theatre, Peterborough between September 21 and 24 and hear the rousing ‘Peers’ Chorus’, the beautiful ‘None Shall Part Us’ and the classic ‘Sentry’s Song’ along with many other familiar melodies.
For more information email email@example.com call 07708 4651411 or 01733 267578 or visit www.peterboroughgands.org.uk
- 1 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 2 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 3 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 4 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 5 Homeless champion delighted as young couple finally have shelter
- 6 Jonathan Van Tam’s mum gets Covid-19 vaccination at Cambs clinic
- 7 'Not a sprint, a marathon' cautions NHS staff in the Fens
- 8 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
- 9 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
- 10 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
PLAYERS’ QUEEN CELEBRATES 90TH BIRTHDAY
Well known local lady Eunice Crisp and Peterborough Gilbert and Sullivan Players’ own “Queen” this year celebrates her 90th Birthday - along with the Monarch.
To make the occasion more special, this year also sees the 50th anniversary of Eunice playing The Fairy Queen in the Players’ 1966 production of ‘Iolanthe’.
In 2016 the Players are supporting Anna’s Hope, the leading children’s brain tumour charity in the East of England since 2006.
Anna was very fond of fairies and the charity logo was designed from an image doodled by Anna’s sister, Sara.