Photos of Wisbech in the 1960s-70s and a history of Wisbech Canal to go on show
- Credit: Archant
Photos of Wisbech in the 1960s and 70s go on show at a fund raising event in the town next month.
The pictures taken by the late Geoff Hastings will be exhibited alongside a presentation about the history of Wisbech Canal given by historian Bill Smith.
Back in October, a similar presentation at Wisbech Social Club and Institute was so popular that a repeat event has been organised.
The event on December 6 will again include Mr Smith’s pictorial journey along Wisbech Canal, from Outwell to Wisbech.
Mr Smith said: “Due to demand, we are running the show again. More than £900 was raised for the Institute funds last time.”
You may also want to watch:
The story of Wisbech Canal will be told in photographs, maps and illustrations.
Mr Smith added: “ Wisbech Canal opened in 1797, but it was never viable from day one. Evolution took over and it stopped being used for transportation between 1900 and 1910. Filling in of the canal started in 1962 and by 1972 it had completely disappeared.
- 1 Council offers reserved parking for elderly heading for Covid jab
- 2 Coronavirus test centre staff ‘receive abuse’ from angry motorists
- 3 Slimmer's life-changing weight loss story
- 4 Tributes to 'loving, kind family man' and community stalwart
- 5 Man attempts to smuggle MDMA tablets disguised as Mars Bar into jail
- 6 Man, 39, convicted of assault on two HMRC officers by beating
- 7 Minor injury unit closes to allow staff to respond to crisis in the community
- 8 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 9 'Small number of Covid-19 deaths' at care home
- 10 Artist impressions of how Mepal will be transformed into a £6.5m crematorium
Paying tribute to Mr Hastings’ photographic record of Wisbech, Mr Smith said: “Geoff photographed and recorded practically the entire town in the early 1960s up to the mid 1970s. The presentation is a tribute to him and his invaluable work.”
The event takes place at The Tower Ballroom, in the Wisbech Social Club and Institute in Hill Street. Doors open at 7pm for a 7.30pm start.
Tickets cost £10 including a buffet and are available from Etcetera, York Row, Wisbech, 01945 463440, and Fotogenic, Hill Street, Wisbech, 01945 587437, or from Mr Smith on 01945 772712.
Proceeds are for Institute funds, to help maintain and repair the building.