Pond dipping, and guided walks on offer at Wicken Fen’s Dragonfly Day
A FUN programme of dragonfly themed activities for all the family will be held at Wicken Fen on Sunday, July 29.
There will be guided dragonfly walks, dragonfly spotting boat trips, larva-feeding demonstrations, pond dipping, work sheet activities for children and exciting craft activities, including making pipe cleaner and origami dragonflies.
The event runs from 10am to 5pm, and the National Trust is teaming up with two leading dragonfly conservation organisations, the British Dragonfly Society and the Dragonfly Project, to raise awareness of these amazing insects, who are closely related to the huge insects which flew over our forests 300 million years ago.
Wicken Fen is one of the best locations in the United Kingdom to spot Dragonflies, with 21 species living and breeding on the fen.
The fen is also home to the National Dragonfly Centre. The centre is open at weekends throughout the summer and houses colourful displays and interpretation on dragonflies with experts on hand to advise on latest dragonfly sightings on the fen. The centre also offers a regular programme of events from dragonfly safaris to introductory and advanced dragonfly courses.
You may also want to watch:
Entry to Wicken Fen Nature Reserve and Visitor Centre is free to National Trust members and under 5’s. Non-members are charged �6.30 for adults �6.30, and �3.15 for children �3.15, and �15.75 for a family ticket.
- 1 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 2 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 3 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 4 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 5 Homeless champion delighted as young couple finally have shelter
- 6 Jonathan Van Tam’s mum gets Covid-19 vaccination at Cambs clinic
- 7 'Not a sprint, a marathon' cautions NHS staff in the Fens
- 8 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
- 9 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
- 10 Environment Agency seize 52 illegal fishing devices from region’s rivers