REVIEW: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice is a classic superhero movie
- Credit: Archant
Within the opening ten minutes ‘Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice’ shows all the classic traits of a superhero movie: massive visual effects, explosions left right and centre, civilians in danger running across the street and a sense of desperation mirrored by the doom-impending soundtrack.
Thought provoking from the off, it raises some serious questions and tackles terrorism with a clever head - and then Superman aka Clark Kent (played by Henry Cavill) bulldozes his way in “like the sky cracked”.
Kent and Lois Lane (Amy Adams on top form) both go through life as journalists at The Daily Planet, keeping their super secret under wraps.
Meanwhile Lex Luthor (Jesse Eisenberg) comes across psychotic and insane; particularly schizophrenic with his speech-giving, whilst making far bigger plans to destroy Batman, played by a stern-faced, unflinching Ben Affleck.
Battling personal demons - quite literally in a nightmare early on - he attempts to foil Luthor’s plan; meeting Diana Prince who turns out to be Wonder Woman (played fearlessly by newcomer Gal Gadot) along the way, it sets the stage for the upcoming Justice League-focused sequel.
You may also want to watch:
Superman, likewise, is at a loss: as news reporters can’t decide whether to criticise or compliment him. “Maybe he’s just a guy trying to do the right thing”, suggests one, while another says “or is he an alien among us?”
- 1 Police forensics team begin search after death of woman in her 70s
- 2 Firefighters attempted to resuscitate suspected murder victim
- 3 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
- 4 Two boys, aged 12 and 14, arrested after 3am service station burglary
- 5 iPads and laptops stolen in school break-in
- 6 Class B drug factory discovered following British Gas search warrant
- 7 Pervert filmed himself having sex with girl, 14, and then shared video online
- 8 Defeated Tory hits out at ‘toxic brand’ and says ‘James Palmer had it coming’
- 9 MP Steve Barclay visits £14m A47 Guyhirn roundabout upgrade works
- 10 Drink-driver blows over four times legal limit after ‘booze and cruise’