REVIEW: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice is a classic superhero movie
- Credit: Archant
Within the opening ten minutes ‘Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice’ shows all the classic traits of a superhero movie: massive visual effects, explosions left right and centre, civilians in danger running across the street and a sense of desperation mirrored by the doom-impending soundtrack.
Thought provoking from the off, it raises some serious questions and tackles terrorism with a clever head - and then Superman aka Clark Kent (played by Henry Cavill) bulldozes his way in “like the sky cracked”.
Kent and Lois Lane (Amy Adams on top form) both go through life as journalists at The Daily Planet, keeping their super secret under wraps.
Meanwhile Lex Luthor (Jesse Eisenberg) comes across psychotic and insane; particularly schizophrenic with his speech-giving, whilst making far bigger plans to destroy Batman, played by a stern-faced, unflinching Ben Affleck.
Battling personal demons - quite literally in a nightmare early on - he attempts to foil Luthor’s plan; meeting Diana Prince who turns out to be Wonder Woman (played fearlessly by newcomer Gal Gadot) along the way, it sets the stage for the upcoming Justice League-focused sequel.
Superman, likewise, is at a loss: as news reporters can’t decide whether to criticise or compliment him. “Maybe he’s just a guy trying to do the right thing”, suggests one, while another says “or is he an alien among us?”
- 1 Thousands descend on Chatteris as town lights up for Christmas
- 2 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 3 East Cambs Council bins green waste collections for seven weeks
- 4 Children among suspected hare coursers stopped in the Fens
- 5 Stolen caravans discovered on village site to relief of owners
- 6 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 7 Princess Eugenie comes to town in bid to tackle modern slavery
- 8 Fens business park goes to auction - for up to £700,000
- 9 Check before you travel ahead of major upgrade, commuters warned
- 10 'White van man' crashes into rail bridge