REVIEW: The Secret Life of Pets is a cute and colourful family-friendly animation
- Credit: Sub
Based around the eight or so hours that animals are left to their own, often chaotic devices, this eye-popping New York City-based animation comes from Illumination Entertainment, the creative group who brought Minions to life.
TSLOP focuses on Max, a dog who truly loves life with his adoring owner Katie, but his serenity and tail -wagging outlook is soon threatened when a big, hairy, slobbery Duke comes barging through the apartment door.
A power struggle leads to the pair getting into a lot of trouble with a horde of thieving, scary-looking stray cats and the forgotten “flushed alliance” pets, led by a menacing buck-toothed fluffy white rabbit voiced crazily by Kevin Hart.
Joining him is Tattoo, a pig who used to live in a tattoo parlour as a test subject, and several others living in the sewers plotting their revenge against humans.
There’s romance, as well, as a cute, wide-eyed Gidget - Max’s neighbour - rounds up her pet pals to try and find Max and Duke so she can express her love in the hope of the pair living happily ever after.
You may also want to watch:
Pops, a paralysed elderly dog whose legs are in a wheelchair, leads the search party, alongside a hawk, an adorable guinea pig, a pug, a sausage dog and a cake-loving cat called Chloe.
There’s enough here to keep adults entertained as well as children: think Finding Nemo - it tackles grief, briefly, for a few scenes - meets Flushed Away, but sadly it’s no Zootropolis.
- 1 'Amazing team work' at hospital's vaccination clinic
- 2 'Physically and mentally exhausted" Matt in plea to find missing beagle
- 3 Man suffers serious injuries after two-vehicle crash on A47
- 4 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 5 Sandbags available ahead as Storm Christoph arrives
- 6 'Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into'
- 7 ‘Boris should try to fill in the forms if he thinks they’re so simple’
- 8 Rough sleepers helped from tents pitched on private land
- 9 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 10 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
Watch out for heavy metal loving poodle Leonard, though, because he’s the unsung hero here, who undoubtedly should have been granted more screen time.