Russian State Ballet and Opera House to bring Rigoletto to Cresset, Peterborough
- Credit: Archant
The Russian State Ballet and Opera House make their first appearance at The Cresset, in Peterborough, later this month with a tragic tale of misunderstanding, revenge and sacrifice.
Rigoletto is an opera in three acts by Giuseppe Verdi, set to an Italian libretto by Francesco Maria Piave and based on the play Le Roi s’amuse by Victor Hugo.
Its tragic story revolves around the hunchbacked court jester, Rigoletto, his beautiful daughter Gilda he loves (but had kept secret from the Court) and the Duke of Mantua he serves.
A Cresset spokesman said: “This is an opportunity for opera lovers to see Rigoletto as never before with an established and long standing Russian theatre that continues to grow on the international stage and win awards in the field of opera and ballet.”
Producer Alexej Ignatow added: “Opera has been able to take advantage of the high-tech revolution in home entertainment, television and cinema and more and more people are discovering it.
“However, nothing can replace the pleasure to attend a live performance, which is why we are dedicated to presenting full and positive new productions in regional theatres.
“We want to give the opportunity to local audiences to experience these classics at a fraction of the cost they would pay in big cities, give them great pleasure and inspire them to want more.”
- 1 Village shop hit by ram raiders
- 2 F1 fan Magdalena bids to land 'once in a lifetime' chance
- 3 Motorcyclist in serious condition after A142 tractor crash
- 4 A47 near Wisbech set to close for seven weekends due to roadworks
- 5 Second river crash in a week as driver escapes injury
- 6 Father and son accused of man's murder set to stand trial this summer
- 7 Teenager was ‘acting in self-defence’ when stamping on boy’s head
- 8 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 9 Jail for suspected hare courser who forced cars off road during police pursuit
- 10 Sex offender who 'wiped internet history' jailed for breaching court orders
Rigoletto is at the Cresset on February 21, from 7.30pm.
Tickets cost £30, £28 concessions. To purchase, contact The Cresset box office on 01733 265705 or visit www.cresset.co.uk