Russian State Ballet and Opera House to bring Rigoletto to Cresset, Peterborough
- Credit: Archant
The Russian State Ballet and Opera House make their first appearance at The Cresset, in Peterborough, later this month with a tragic tale of misunderstanding, revenge and sacrifice.
Rigoletto is an opera in three acts by Giuseppe Verdi, set to an Italian libretto by Francesco Maria Piave and based on the play Le Roi s’amuse by Victor Hugo.
Its tragic story revolves around the hunchbacked court jester, Rigoletto, his beautiful daughter Gilda he loves (but had kept secret from the Court) and the Duke of Mantua he serves.
A Cresset spokesman said: “This is an opportunity for opera lovers to see Rigoletto as never before with an established and long standing Russian theatre that continues to grow on the international stage and win awards in the field of opera and ballet.”
Producer Alexej Ignatow added: “Opera has been able to take advantage of the high-tech revolution in home entertainment, television and cinema and more and more people are discovering it.
You may also want to watch:
“However, nothing can replace the pleasure to attend a live performance, which is why we are dedicated to presenting full and positive new productions in regional theatres.
“We want to give the opportunity to local audiences to experience these classics at a fraction of the cost they would pay in big cities, give them great pleasure and inspire them to want more.”
- 1 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 2 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
- 3 Jonathan Van Tam’s mum gets Covid-19 vaccination at Cambs clinic
- 4 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 5 Shoplifter jailed after stealing goods worth £1,600
- 6 'Amazing team work' at hospital's vaccination clinic
- 7 'Not a sprint, a marathon' cautions NHS staff in the Fens
- 8 Crossing company praised for using local workers and suppliers
- 9 Welcome to Whittlesey - the new UK hotspot for kite surfing?
- 10 'Physically and mentally exhausted" Matt in plea to find missing beagle
Rigoletto is at the Cresset on February 21, from 7.30pm.
Tickets cost £30, £28 concessions. To purchase, contact The Cresset box office on 01733 265705 or visit www.cresset.co.uk