Saddle up for a season of free cycling events across Cambridgeshire
- Credit: Archant
TANDEMS, electric bikes and some wacky cycling machines will be available to try out in Fenland this weekend, as the first Cambridgeshire Festival of Cycling visits the district.
There will also be a vintage bike parade, competitions, and a variety of stalls, and residents are encouraged to bring along their bikes for a free maintenance check.
The festival comes to City Road car park in March on Saturday, April 13 and to Wisbech Market Place on Sunday April 14, with events running both days from 10.30am to 4.30pm.
As the free festival continues, the cycling projects team from Cambridgeshire County Council will visit Whittlesey Market Place on Saturday May 4, and Chatteris Furrowfields car park on Saturday June 16.
A spokesman for the council said: “The events are aimed at everyone – regardless of whether they are cyclists or not, and will include a bike try-out show, with tandems, electric, folding and wacky bikes available for all to try. There will also be a vintage bike parade and adapted bikes to pedal your way to a free fruit smoothie.
“Residents can bring along their bikes for a free maintenance check and staff will carry out basic repairs. There will also be competitions, stalls, local cycle maps to take away and a chance to chat to Council staff about cycling issues.”
Mike Davies, Cambridgeshire County Council’s cycling projects team leader, said: “We’re really excited about the Cambridgeshire Festival of Cycling. The events are designed to be a great family day out and a chance for us to chat to residents about how cycling facilities in Cambridgeshire can be improved. We hope they may also encourage more residents to travel by bike if they can.”
- 1 Developer claims 109-home estate would be 'wholly appropriate'
- 2 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 3 Motorcyclist, 32, injured after A605 crash
- 4 How do Cambridgeshire Fens' Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown?
- 5 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 6 Police shut off A605 after 'single vehicle' crash
- 7 Convenience store transformed thanks to £116k facelift
- 8 ‘We try to think outside the box’ - Alpacas pay a visit to care home
- 9 WATCH: Extinction Rebellion block Amazon warehouse
- 10 Driver escapes injury after car hits wall
Events will run from 10.30am-4.30pm:
Saturday 13 April: March, City Road car park
Sunday 14 April: Wisbech, Market Place
Saturday 4 May: Whittlesey, Market Place
Sunday 5 May: Ramsey, Great Whyte
Saturday 18 May: St Neots, Market Square
Sunday 19 May: Soham, Recreation Ground
Saturday 15 June: Huntingdon, Chequers Court
Sunday 16 June: Chatteris, Furrowfields car park
Saturday 29 June: St Ives, Cattle Market
Sunday 30 June: Ely, Market Place