Soul legend Mavis Staples - billed as ‘one of the 100 greatest singers of all time’ - heads to Cambridge
- Credit: Archant
Soul gospel legend Mavis Staples is coming to the Cambridge Corn Exchange next week.
Now in her seventies, the musical legend is embarking on a three date UK solo tour, with a show in the city on Wednesday, July 1.
Credited as ‘one of the 100 greatest singers of all time’ by Rolling Stone magazine, the show is not to be missed.
Famous for tracks like If You’re Ready (Come Go With Me) and The Weight, Mavis also won a Grammy award in 2011 for her album You Are Not Alone.
Both a soloist, and having performed with The Staples Singers for over 50 years, the sixties star has just released Your Good Fortune, a new four-song EP which was produced by Son Little.
You may also want to watch:
Speaking about the new tour, Mavis says, “I’m always excited to do new songs, and this young man just wrote two for me. Seemed like we were a team made in heaven.
“He writes from his heart,” she added, “and he reached my heart. I’m so glad we got to work together. The whole experience right down to the finished product was just extraordinary.”
- 1 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 2 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
- 3 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 4 Missing dog found thanks to drone footage
- 5 Brexit blamed for plans to flatten Friday Bridge camp and build 100 homes
- 6 Five generations of family members meet up for the first time
- 7 HMO plans submitted for village pub
- 8 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 9 Heroin worth £1.7m found in holdall in car in St Neots
- 10 Motorist crashes into telephone pole at Wyton
Mavis Staples performs at Cambridge Corn Exchange on Wednesday, July 1 with support from Ryan Montbleu. The show starts at 7.30pm and tickets which cost £22.50 are available from the box office or 01223 357851.