Soul legend Mavis Staples - billed as ‘one of the 100 greatest singers of all time’ - heads to Cambridge
- Credit: Archant
Soul gospel legend Mavis Staples is coming to the Cambridge Corn Exchange next week.
Now in her seventies, the musical legend is embarking on a three date UK solo tour, with a show in the city on Wednesday, July 1.
Credited as ‘one of the 100 greatest singers of all time’ by Rolling Stone magazine, the show is not to be missed.
Famous for tracks like If You’re Ready (Come Go With Me) and The Weight, Mavis also won a Grammy award in 2011 for her album You Are Not Alone.
Both a soloist, and having performed with The Staples Singers for over 50 years, the sixties star has just released Your Good Fortune, a new four-song EP which was produced by Son Little.
You may also want to watch:
Speaking about the new tour, Mavis says, “I’m always excited to do new songs, and this young man just wrote two for me. Seemed like we were a team made in heaven.
“He writes from his heart,” she added, “and he reached my heart. I’m so glad we got to work together. The whole experience right down to the finished product was just extraordinary.”
- 1 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 2 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 3 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 4 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 5 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 6 Council books seven hotels and guest houses for homeless
- 7 Max and Chloe become pioneers of community housing success in Cambs village
- 8 Welcome to Whittlesey - the new UK hotspot for kite surfing?
- 9 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 10 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
Mavis Staples performs at Cambridge Corn Exchange on Wednesday, July 1 with support from Ryan Montbleu. The show starts at 7.30pm and tickets which cost £22.50 are available from the box office or 01223 357851.