Special beer for bus route’s one-day festival
- Credit: Archant
A much-missed local bus route will be revived for one day with classic vehicles on Sunday May 15 – and have a specially brewed beer named after it as part of Fenland Busfest and Thorney Classic Car Show.
Route 701 ran from Peterborough to Whittlesey/Turves from the 1920s, until local firm Judd’s Travel ceased trading last year. Morley’s of Whittlesey provided the service for almost 80 years.
Now Turves based brewery Xtreme Ales has come up with a Route 701 beer which will be available from several pubs during the Fenland Busfest, which will see vintage buses and coaches operating the service half hourly free of charge.
Some 40 vehicles from across the country, and thousands of enthusiasts will descend on Whittlesey for the event.
Buses will also link Whittlesey to Thorney, where a classic car show is taking place at the museum.
You may also want to watch:
Entries are still welcome for this and there will also be sales stalls.
Free vintage bus rides will also go to Turves, Ramsey and Glatton, along with a mystery tour.
- 1 Man, aged in his 40s, dies after suspected drug-fuelled B1101 crash
- 2 Updates as emergency services rush to major crash blocking B1101
- 3 Covid ban on collecting CCTV says police after cycle theft
- 4 Floral tributes laid for ‘amazing brother’ killed in B1101 Elm Road crash
- 5 Vaccine centre closure date announced amid 60,000 doses target
- 6 Man dies following crash on Cambridgeshire road
- 7 Hancock admits QEH 'in serious need of improvement' but makes no promises
- 8 Serious crash blocks main road into Fen town
- 9 Chatteris drug dealers handed community orders
- 10 Man jailed for sexual relationship with schoolgirl
The event is organised by locally based Eastern Bus Enthusiasts. Spokesman Nick Larkin said: ‘The event just gets bigger every year and the 2016 show will be the biggest ever.
“We know that the 701 route is still missed locally and we can at least run it for one day.
“We are very proud that Extreme Ales has come up with a special brew for us. People can enjoy it and thanks to our network of bus services not have to worry about driving!’
A full list of pubs serving Route 701 ale will be published in the event programme.
The event is raising funds for the storage and preservation of buses locally and there will also be a collection for Peterborough Soup Kitchen.
The classic car show will run from 10am until 5pm.
For more information visit www.easternbusgroup.co.uk or call 07950 643065 or 07936 709483.
For the Thorney Classic Car Show email email@example.com or phone 07563920526.