Star Wars actor Ian McDiarmid to star in A Life of Galileo in Cambridge
- Credit: Archant
Stars War actor Ian McDiarmid reprises his critically acclaimed role in the Royal Shakespeare’s Company production of Bertold Brecht’s A Life of Galileo at Cambridge Arts Theatre from Monday, March 31 to Saturday, April 5.
The year is 1609 and Galileo, a brilliant Italian scientist, is about to make a discovery that will change the world. Observing the night sky using the telescope, he sees the solar system with a clarity never before experienced by astronomers and realises that the earth orbits the sun.
When Galileo’s opponents convince the Pope that these new findings pose a threat to religious dogma and may spark unrest and civil disobedience, he is denounced by the Inquisition as a heretic and forced to publicly denounce his theories.
McDiarmid’s film credits include Sleepy Hollow, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Gorky Park and Dragonslayer, but it is for his role as Supreme Chancellor Palpatine and Emperor Palpatine in George Lucas’ Star Wars that he is universally known.
Performances take place from Monday–Saturday at 7.45pm and on Thursday and Saturday at 2.30pm. Tickets range from £15 to £35 and have a £2.50 booking fee.
You may also want to watch:
They are available from the box office at 01223 503333 or at www.cambridgeartstheatre.com
- 1 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 2 161-mile trip from Yorkshire to Fen village ends in Covid breach fine
- 3 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 4 Stolen American-style fridge was lifted over 10ft security fence
- 5 MP wants an end to floods misery in the Fens
- 6 All staff and residents at Chatteris care home now vaccinated against Covid
- 7 Council chief executive accused of 'indifference' over Covid-19 response
- 8 Dad has 'much more energy to run around' with son after losing four stone
- 9 More than 60 fines issued to Covid rulebreakers in Cambs already this year
- 10 First large-scale Cambs Covid-19 vaccination centres open this week