The Count down is on to Ely Cathedral Flower Festival
- Credit: Archant
WITH less than nine weeks until the opening day, preparations are going full steam ahead for the 2013 Ely Cathedral Flower Festival.
Vast wicker and wrought iron structures, especially designed and created by local craftsmen, will be suspended along the nave and under central Octagon Tower.
Under the guidance of Roger Woolnough, gold medal winner from the world famous Chelsea Flower Show, a 200 strong team of flower club members is ready to transform the interior of the cathedral.
This, along with thousands of flowers and a 35 metre long river being specially constructed to wind its way down the length of the nave, will create the theme ‘In The Beginning’ for the four day festival that runs from June 20-23.
Lesley Ann Thompson, marketing and development officer at Ely Cathedral said: “This festival promises to be the one of the most high profile events Ely has seen for a while, and one of the largest displays of flowers anywhere in East Anglia.”
You may also want to watch:
With more than 3,000 visitors already booked to attend the flower festival, preparations are well under way to make sure every one is catered for, with a food marquees on the east lawn and in the Bishop’s Garden, and a gift and craft marquee on the lawn.
Many local companies and individuals have been involved with helping this huge project, offering their professional services, advertising in the programme or sponsoring of one of the 85 floral exhibits.
- 1 ‘High risk’ paedophile had indecent images of children on his phone
- 2 Man confronted in live stream cleared of all sex abuse allegations
- 3 Top Cabinet post for NE Cambs MP Steve Barclay
- 4 Students highlight road safety in new films
- 5 Tractor driver error may have caused freight derailment in the Fens
- 6 Police find string of ponies in middle of Cambridgeshire road
- 7 Off-duty detective snares £200k drug dealer
- 8 Freed from custody, animal rights campaigner back at Camp Beagle
- 9 Six-year-old fundraising for air ambulance charity that helped sister during seizure
- 10 Christmas lights switch-on event cancelled over 'Covid uncertainty'
To sponsor a display in celebration of a person or an event, or in memory of a loved one or, if you are a local business wishing to show your support, please contact 01353 660 363 or email email@example.com
Tickets cost £10 each and are already on sale. To book, call the Ely Cathedral box office on 01353 660349 or book online via the Cathedral website.