Thirty acts lined up for 2014 Ely Folk Festival - and bands can enter competition to perform on opening night
- Credit: Archant
More than 30 acts will perform at the 29th Ely Folk Festival, which takes place from July 11-13.
Tickets go on sale next Monday for this year’s event, held at the outdoor centre in Downham Road.
The festival will host some of the biggest and most exciting names in folk and roots music from England, Scotland, Ireland and further afield.
Acts include international singing star Eddi Reader, storming Scottish band Breabach, acclaimed singer-songwriter Steve Knightley, Martyn Joseph, The Carrivick Sisters, Vin Garbutt, Blackbeard’s Tea Party, and many more great acts.
Festival marketing officer Fionnuala Lennon said: “With more than 30 folk and roots acts performing over the weekend, numerous workshops and ceilidhs, children’s entertainment, music sessions, a real ale bar, craft and food stalls and lots of morris dancing, the festival offers something for everyone to enjoy as well as great value for money.”
You may also want to watch:
The festival box office opens next Monday and early bird weekend tickets start at £64.
Tickets are available for the weekend or individual days. Reduced price tickets for concessions and young people are available. Children under 10 get free entry.
- 1 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 2 MP visits hospital about to become centre of Covid-19 vaccine rollout
- 3 Owner's desperate plea - and £500 reward - to find missing dog
- 4 Rugby club fears vendetta after vandals strike again
- 5 Nitrous oxide canisters no laughing matter say Fenland police
- 6 Ditch crash victim seriously injured
- 7 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 8 'Big red key' used by cops in dawn raid on suspected drug dealers
- 9 Homes 'siloed on edge of village like old-style council estate'
- 10 'Small number of Covid-19 deaths' at care home
Details about ticket prices, and the full festival line-up, are available at www.elyfolkfestival.co.uk
• A slot on the main concert stage on opening night awaits the winner of our band competition.
We have teamed up with the organisers of Ely Folk Festival to find an amateur folk or roots act to fill the slot. You can be a solo performer, a duo or a group.
The entries will be judged by a panel that includes acclaimed singer-songwriter and Ely resident Boo Hewerdine.
To enter the competition, send a CD demo marked ‘EFF Band Competition’ with your contact details to the Ely Standard at Alexander House, Fore Hill, Ely, CB7 4LS. Closing date for entries is March 31.
The winning entry will be announced at the end of April. CDs will not be returned.