Upwell Gilbert and Sullivan Society prepare for three night run of Patience
SUSPENSION of belief is integral to Gilbert and Sullivan so no surprise then to discover Dragoon Guards using curious methods to win over a group of ladies.
The photos are from rehearsals for the latest production by Upwell Gilbert and Sullivan Society who will be performing Patience (otherwise known as Bunthorne’s Bride) later this month.
The second photo, says Ann Allen, the society’s spokesman, is of the “ladies in the song ‘The Magnet Hung in a Hardware Shop’ where the poet Grosvenor is explaining that a magnet cannot attract a silver churn”.
Which explains everything to a G & S enthusiast – of which there are many- but probably will mean little to those unfamiliar with the works of the comic pair. Put simply, says Ann, Patience “is a comical tale of village maidens falling in love with an aesthetic poet, Bunthorne, forsaking the Dragoon Guards, who try to become
aesthetic to win them back.”
You may also want to watch:
The first production of Patience was in London in 1881 and was the first production in the world to be lit entirely by electricity!
Upwell Gilbert & Sullivan Society will be staging Patience on April 26, 27, and 28 at
- 1 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 2 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 3 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 4 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 5 Council books seven hotels and guest houses for homeless
- 6 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 7 Max and Chloe become pioneers of community housing success in Cambs village
- 8 Welcome to Whittlesey - the new UK hotspot for kite surfing?
- 9 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 10 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
St. Andrew’s Methodist Church, Outwell at 7.30pm.
Tickets are �7 for adults and �4 for juniors. Box office telephone number is 01945 773070.