Upwell Gilbert and Sullivan Society to perform Ruddigore at Outwell Methodist Church
- Credit: Archant
The three bad baronets of Ruddigore are ready to step out of their portraits for the latest production by Upwell Gilbert and Sullivan Society.
Outwell Methodist Church hosts the society’s rendition of Ruddigore, the 10th collaboration between Gilbert and Sullivan, from April 23-25.
The story tells the tale of the baronets of Ruddigore, who were cursed by a witch while she was being burnt at the stake. They have to perform a bad deed every day for the rest of their lives or die in agony.
The rightful baronet is Sir Ruthven Murgatroyd, but he disguises his identity as farmer Robin Oakapple. Sir Ruthven is forced to accept his true position when his foster brother tells of his deception, in a bid to win the affections of Rose Maybud.
Now the baronet, Robin is haunted by the ghosts of the bad baronets, who step from their picture frames in the gallery of Ruddigore Castle to confront him for failing to conscientiously commit his daily crime.
Robin eventually finds a way of satisfying his ancestors demands whilst continuing to live a blameless life.
Shows start at 7.30pm. Tickets cost £7 adults for adults, £4 for children. To purchase, contact the society box office on 01945 773070.
- 1 Boxing club 'absolutely gutted' as mass brawl abandons show
- 2 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
- 3 Wenny Meadow home to rare 'false scorpions', says hidden report
- 4 Mother pays tribute to “much-loved” son who died near Fen Drayton
- 5 Robber attempts to steal scratch card and alcohol from convenience store
- 6 Cambridgeshire's Enhanced Area Status extended amid Covid surge in schools
- 7 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 8 Motorbike set on fire in arson attack
- 9 Karen’s three-course lunch with Mayor of Wisbech
- 10 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
• For more information about the society, visit www.upwellgands.weebly.com