Vintage buses will give free rides between Whittlesey and Thorney at a heritage event
- Credit: Archant
Free bus rides are on offer as part of a vintage vehicle gathering coming to the Fens.
Old vehicles will converge on the town centre in Whittlesey and at Thorney Museum with free bus rides between the two locations on Saturday May 9.
The Fenland Vintage Vehicle Gathering is the 125th anniversary of local operator Delaine Buses of Bourne and includes a star attractions of a new London Routemaster bus.
As part of the event there will also be a classic car and commercial show at Thorney Museum.
The day is raising funds for Peterborough Soup Kitchen, East Anglia’s Children’s Hospices and classic bus restoration.
You may also want to watch:
Dozens of classics will be at the 2015 gathering alongside free vintage bus services operating between Whittlesey Town Centre and Thorney up to every 20 minutes, where there will be a display of heritage cars, lorries and other classic vehicles at Thorney Museum.
Buses will also go to the Three Horseshoes at Turves and there will be a mystery tour. The end of the day will see buses travel from Whittlesey to Peterborough.
- 1 Jail for paedophile who booked hotel to abuse three children
- 2 Turners ‘massively impacted’ and Knowles up pay to hire HGV drivers
- 3 Villagers team up to honour 'a real character'
- 4 Hunt is on to find stags that escaped from farm
- 5 Bomb scare was a 'hoax' say police
- 6 It's a family affair as planners consider five luxury homes
- 7 Police warn you may run but you can't hide from us
- 8 100mph, 20-minute police pursuit ends with a crash – and later with jail
- 9 'Marvellous' Lilian celebrates 103rd birthday
- 10 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
Stagecoach London has agreed to provide a new Routemaster or Borismaster for the event. This is the first time an example of the £600,000 buses has ever operated in Cambridgeshire
Still in the same family ownership, the firm began with horse-drawn vehicles and then introduced its first motor bus in 1919.
Several classic buses from the Delaine heritage fleet will be represented at the event.
Cars and other vehicles are welcome to attend the Thorney Museum gathering. Contact Tom Mortlock on 0756 3920526 or just turn up.
Further rally details via www.easternbusgroup.co.uk.