Vintage buses will give free rides between Whittlesey and Thorney at a heritage event
- Credit: Archant
Free bus rides are on offer as part of a vintage vehicle gathering coming to the Fens.
Old vehicles will converge on the town centre in Whittlesey and at Thorney Museum with free bus rides between the two locations on Saturday May 9.
The Fenland Vintage Vehicle Gathering is the 125th anniversary of local operator Delaine Buses of Bourne and includes a star attractions of a new London Routemaster bus.
As part of the event there will also be a classic car and commercial show at Thorney Museum.
The day is raising funds for Peterborough Soup Kitchen, East Anglia’s Children’s Hospices and classic bus restoration.
Dozens of classics will be at the 2015 gathering alongside free vintage bus services operating between Whittlesey Town Centre and Thorney up to every 20 minutes, where there will be a display of heritage cars, lorries and other classic vehicles at Thorney Museum.
Buses will also go to the Three Horseshoes at Turves and there will be a mystery tour. The end of the day will see buses travel from Whittlesey to Peterborough.
- 1 Second river crash in a week as driver escapes injury
- 2 A47 near Wisbech set to close for seven weekends due to roadworks
- 3 Farmer wins appeal to convert derelict barn into a house
- 4 Father and son accused of man's murder set to stand trial this summer
- 5 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 6 Council to spend a penny or two from £8.4m 'pot' on new loos
- 7 Jail for suspected hare courser who forced cars off road during police pursuit
- 8 Man set to stand trial accused of teen daughter's murder
- 9 56-bed care home backers revise access proposals
- 10 Two suffer serious injuries after A10 crash
Stagecoach London has agreed to provide a new Routemaster or Borismaster for the event. This is the first time an example of the £600,000 buses has ever operated in Cambridgeshire
Still in the same family ownership, the firm began with horse-drawn vehicles and then introduced its first motor bus in 1919.
Several classic buses from the Delaine heritage fleet will be represented at the event.
Cars and other vehicles are welcome to attend the Thorney Museum gathering. Contact Tom Mortlock on 0756 3920526 or just turn up.
Further rally details via www.easternbusgroup.co.uk.