Zara saves the day by joining the cast of When We Are Married
- Credit: Archant
Teenage actress Zara Minns will make her debut with the City of Ely Amateur Dramatic Society on October 31, after stepping in at the last minute to save their autumn show.
A member of Viva Youth Theatre, Zara answered an appeal featured in the Ely Standard to find a young actress to join the cast of When We Are Married, to play the maid, after the original actress had to quit due to health problems.
Director Patrick Cain said: “We were thrilled that Zara came forward to join us. She is a very good young actress and will be great in the show. She has done well to learn her lines in such a short time.”
The show was due to open on Wednesday October 30, but because Zara is not available that evening, an open dress rehearsal will be held instead, with someone else reading her lines. Members of the public are invited to attend at 7.30pm at Ely College, and make a donation.
When We are Married, by J B Priestley, is a classic Yorkshire comedy. It tells the story of three couples who meet to celebrate their joint silver wedding anniversaries, only to discover the clergyman who officiated at their nuptials was not qualified.
You may also want to watch:
Add to this the presence of a drunken photographer, a belligerent charlady, a perky maid and a mysterious lady visitor and you have a situation for some serious misunderstanding.
The cast includes Sue Harrison, Alex Priestley, Susan Howell, Richard Dodd, Alex Page and Graham Stark.
- 1 Jail for paedophile who booked hotel to abuse three children
- 2 Turners ‘massively impacted’ and Knowles up pay to hire HGV drivers
- 3 Villagers team up to honour 'a real character'
- 4 Hunt is on to find stags that escaped from farm
- 5 Bomb scare was a 'hoax' say police
- 6 It's a family affair as planners consider five luxury homes
- 7 Police warn you may run but you can't hide from us
- 8 100mph, 20-minute police pursuit ends with a crash – and later with jail
- 9 'Marvellous' Lilian celebrates 103rd birthday
- 10 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
Mr Cain added: “This is a most suitable play to end the 125th anniversary year of the Ely Amateur Dramatic Society.”
The show at Needham’s Hall, Ely College, runs until Saturday, with performances each evening at 7.30pm.
Tickets cost £7 and are available from Burrows Bookshop, Ely, or by calling 01353 669759.