March Town react to FA Vase exit with dramatic league win at Downham Town
- Credit: Archant
Jack Saunders scored a stoppage time winner for March Town as they reacted to their FA Vase exit in style.
Saunders’ 91st-minute strike sealed a 3-2 win at Downham Town in Thurlow Nunn League, First Division North on Wednesday night, Craig Gillies and Jamie Short grabbing the other Hares goals.
The victory comes after Arran Duke’s men were beaten on penalties by fellow league rivals Norwich CBS in the second qualifying round of the FA Vase last Saturday.
“It’s a positive result against a team that’s always difficult to play against,” Duke said.
“We were moving the ball well, full of confidence and we just told the lads to go and play. They’re more than capable of playing against any team at this level and getting chances.
“We switched off for the goals and probably had a 15-minute spell where we looked shaky.
“Downham are always a threat, but we’ve got a good performance and the three points, which is very pleasing.”
- 1 Man, 28, dies after truck and lorries crash on A47
- 2 NHS staff praised for ‘virtually eliminating’ long waiting times
- 3 Two combine harvesters catch fire in under 12 hours
- 4 Discount store expanding making it ‘bigger and better for customers’
- 5 Unauthorised encampments across Cambs a 'tricky issue' says Police and Crime Commissioner
- 6 £150,000 splashpad to open in Wisbech
- 7 How you can treat and prevent heatstroke in your pets
- 8 Driver cleared by reason of insanity over death of Louis Thorold
- 9 Voi trial ‘confuses people’ about illegal e-scooters
- 10 Dr Who/Alice in Wonderland parody mashup performance comes to March this Summer
Defender Gavin Cooke has joined Peterborough League Premier Division side ICA Sports, while Duke said that midfielder Jack Rawson is set to join Downham.
March are back in league action at home to Debenham LC on Saturday, 3pm.